Friday, November 18, 2011

Why I love Jimi Hendrix



Jimi Hendrix may be the most iconic of all guitar players - but IMO he is also one of the most approachable. From my first exposure to his music via the studio recordings - to the dozens of live recordings and interviews - I have always found him to be incredibly likeable as a person. This simple little record of him playing a Zemaitis 12 String is a perfect example (note that Tony Zemaitis would have been a little known 35 years old luthier at this point and far from the electric guitar making legend he became via his association with Ron Wood, etc.)

Compare the persona of this "legendary guitarist" with any other past or current guitar gods and see if you agree. I can't think of anyone I'd rather have over for tea and a little Sunday morning jam Session than this inimitable blues man.

The tragedy of his loss at age 27 is incomparable. Only Duane Allmann at age 24 came close but you can't really compare Duane and Jimi. There will never was and never will be a musician like Jimi Hendrix.

**********************************

2 comments:

  1. Great find. This is the same version of this tune that wound up on the "Blues" collection that MCA put out in '94. That record is a master class on blues/rock guitar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jim,
    This is a great blog and you do a great job finding cool stuff.
    I tried to ferret out whether that was a scam Strat but the woman refused to answer any questions and insisted on using Google Checkout, saying it protects the buyer, which it doesn't. She would not take paypal, even if I paid the fee and repeated the same basic message each email, with no new info or pics. Sadly, she is probably raking in the bucks with it. Sound too good to be true, must be too good to be true.
    If you find yourself bored please check out my site;
    www.fleishmaninstruments.com I'm a longtime custom luthier and designer and instructor; former director of the American School of Lutherie.
    Keep up the good work.
    harry

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments but please no commercial links or non guitar related conversations. Thank you. - JC

IMPORTANT NOTE TO ALL READERS

I am reposting items here that are listed on CRAIGSLIST throughout the USA. I am not selling any of these items and I cannot facilitate the sale of anything here - so please do not comment or post questions like "Is this still available?" or "I am interested in your guitar please call me, etc." You need to contact the seller directly by calling the phone number listed on the post or by going to the CL listing and emailing them. NEW FEATURE: Click on the title of the CL Listing inside my post to LINK thru to the original Post. If the original CL listing is deleted the item most likely is no longer available. Thanks for checking out my blog and GOOD LUCK!



Please don't call, contact, bother or harass these sellers long after their post is expired. Take for granted if the listing is over 30 days old that the guitar or amp is LONG GONE! Thank you.