Thursday, February 16, 2012

Alamo Fiesta on eBay - just because I wanted to list it here.

I don't think any serious guitarist has ever played an Alamo guitar on stage - but I I could be wrong. But I couldn't resist highlighting this current eBay sale because the Alamo Fiesta guitar is such a rare find these days.

I can't think of any other guitar that is a copy of so many different models at the same time. The body on this has a mind all its own but the pickups are clearly inspired by the Kay Speedbumps and the tailpiece is so close to a Danelectro you could make a case for patent infringement (and they probably did). Flip it over and the 3 bolt neck is a perfect mimic of a Harmony. And the headstock seems to be be taking the lead from one of the Japanese imports of the 1960's like Teisco.

I can't imagine what it sounds or plays like - but she's certainly something else.

**************************

Here is a link to the ebay auction:

Link to ALAMO FIESTA GUITAR ON eBAY





UPDATE: I found this video on Youtube of a guitar collector playing one of these Alamo Fiestas. Sounds surprisingly good. Almost like a Gretsch with the slapback and reverb he adds to the amp sound. Much beefier pickup tone than I would expect. Check it out:

1 comment:

  1. Hey JC:
    Love this blog. Look at it every day.
    I got turned on to the Alamo Fiesta from a coffee table book that a band member (thanks Dana!) left at my studio for my clients to look at while we are recording. The book is a pictorial of the choice selections from Billy Gibbon's guitar, car, and slut collection called "Billy F. Gibbons Rock and Roll Gearhead". He has a one pickup version of the Fiesta called a "Fury", heard on "Belt Buckle" from the XXX album.

    After I got this book, I had to find one of these. I ended up getting a three pickup version that is like the one posted but in a black to red burst with the original crazy assymetrical case for $300 on ebay a few years ago -it is awesome! occasionally I play it live with my band The Aliens That Ate Hollywood.
    I missed out on another Alamo Fiesta with 3 pickups and a Harmony whammy like the ones on the Bobcat (I know you don't think those whammys are playable but they are-St. Vincent is an example of a great player who uses this to great affect).

    I bet you Alamo subcontracted parts from Danelectro/Silvertone, Kay, and Harmony. The parts are way too similar for this guy (Charles Eilenberg) Alamo to re-engineer.
    Here is a nice history of Alamo from Vintage Guitar:

    http://www.vintageguitar.com/1816/alamo-guitars-and-amps-remember-the-alamo/

    and here is some more great info:

    http://www.myrareguitars.com/1965-alamo-fiesta-2586r-electric-guitar

    forgive me if you already know this shit.

    Your humble acquaintance and compatriot:

    Lord Conley

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments but please no commercial links or non guitar related conversations. Thank you. - JC

IMPORTANT NOTE TO ALL READERS

I am reposting items here that are listed on CRAIGSLIST throughout the USA. I am not selling any of these items and I cannot facilitate the sale of anything here - so please do not comment or post questions like "Is this still available?" or "I am interested in your guitar please call me, etc." You need to contact the seller directly by calling the phone number listed on the post or by going to the CL listing and emailing them. NEW FEATURE: Click on the title of the CL Listing inside my post to LINK thru to the original Post. If the original CL listing is deleted the item most likely is no longer available. Thanks for checking out my blog and GOOD LUCK!



Please don't call, contact, bother or harass these sellers long after their post is expired. Take for granted if the listing is over 30 days old that the guitar or amp is LONG GONE! Thank you.