Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Fender Mustang '65 RI in Athens GA for $450

A seller in Athens, GA is offering a '65 RI Mustang for a good price. I would expect this is a CIJ model (Crafted in Japan) but it could be an older MIJ as well. I don't think there is much difference between MIJ and CIJ (though some may disagree).

Some people don't realize that there are two distinct versions of this guitar - a '65 RI and a '69 RI. The '65 RI is a "slab" type body with no contour on the rear - the '69 RI (which I own and prefer) has the contour cutaway on the rear similar to a Strat. It is a bit heavier than the '65 as well. The '65 RI closely resembles the coveted (and highly collectible) original 1965 model and like the original is only available in the three "student" colors i.e. White, Red and Blue. Fender did not offer "Custom paint" on Mustangs, Duo-Sonics or MusicMasters so anybody who tries to tell you that their original USA Mustang is a "Factory Custom Color" is full of you-know-what.

Anyway there is no photo on this listing so I don't know what i am going on about - I guess i just felt like talking about Mustangs. They really are great guitars - I will regret to my dying day that I ever sold my original 1969 Competition Mustang in Lake Placid Blue with the matching headstock. It has proven to be irreplaceable. If you ever see one out there with a heavily gouged rear and replacement locking tuners (it was the punk rock 80's and I treated that guitar like a bastard step-child) please let me know. I want it back!

And finally, no discussion of Made in Japan Fender Mustangs would be complete without mentioning CHAR, the Japanese guitarist who caused the Mustang craze in Japan back in the late 1970's (several years before Curt Cobain would cause the same frenzy for Mustangs here in the USA). CHAR played both Blue and White Mustangs on stage and he outfitted them with humbuckers just like Cobain did. However his playing style is much more "Weather Report" than grunge. Check him out playing his signature song "Smoky" in this youtube clip from back in the day. And check out his keyboard player who is the spitting image of a young Jerry Seinfeld. LOL. - JC



*****************************

Fender Mustang - $450 (Athens)

Date: 2012-02-08, 3:47PM EST
Reply to: xjs5c-2841486991@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Fender Mustang, '65 Reissue, Olympic White w/ Red Tortoise shell pickguard. Hard case included.

Good condition. $450

******************************

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments but please no commercial links or non guitar related conversations. Thank you. - JC

IMPORTANT NOTE TO ALL READERS

I am reposting items here that are listed on CRAIGSLIST throughout the USA. I am not selling any of these items and I cannot facilitate the sale of anything here - so please do not comment or post questions like "Is this still available?" or "I am interested in your guitar please call me, etc." You need to contact the seller directly by calling the phone number listed on the post or by going to the CL listing and emailing them. NEW FEATURE: Click on the title of the CL Listing inside my post to LINK thru to the original Post. If the original CL listing is deleted the item most likely is no longer available. Thanks for checking out my blog and GOOD LUCK!



Please don't call, contact, bother or harass these sellers long after their post is expired. Take for granted if the listing is over 30 days old that the guitar or amp is LONG GONE! Thank you.