Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Extremely Rare Dallas Rangemaster Tube combo amp in Los Angeles area for $475

Note to new readers - I am not selling ths amp - I am only reposting the ad in my blog. - JC

I cannot vouch for the tone of this amp and neither can many other people because it is extremely rare to find one here in the United States. Dallas Arbiter is the company that made the original Rangemaster Overdrive boxes in the 1960's and they still exist today. But I never even knew they made tube amplifiers. Cosmetically this one appears to be a sort of Marshall 18 watt 2x10 clone. But those ECG86 tubes are designed to put out 4 watts each at 250V on the plate - so it would have to be a very creative circuit to make this as loud as a Marshall Bluesbreaker. Goodmans are heavy duty British speakers that at one time came in Vox amps. These amps are so rare they are not even collected as far as I know - so this falls into the "who knows?" category but could be a cool amp. Could be very Vox AC15-ish or maybe like a Marshall Town & Country. Only one way to find out. Hopefyully it is in good working shape becuase you can forget about finding a schematic for it anywhere - good luck.

Note the step transformer - this amp is probably designed to run on British spec AC "mains" voltage so you need the transformer for standard US current.

***************************







60s Rangemaster tube amp - $475 (North Hollywood)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 2011-02-16, 3:48AM PST
Reply to: sale-fmjyq-2217190487@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

-----------------------------------------------------------

Rangemaster tube amp mid to late 60s
2 ecl86 tubes and ez81 rectifier tube.
2x10 goodman speakers 2x10
Step up/down Philmore transformer worth $60 included.

http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/britamps/restof/dall11.html

cash only , no trades, Nick 818 307 2585

4 comments:

  1. I went and saw the amp. It has an output but will need work. Without the schematic, forget it as it is indeed true that one wont be found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i now own this amp. sounds killer! still has a slight hum which I need to address but is quite usable.

      Delete
  2. I am drawing a circuit but not quite finished.. I own two of these and they were copied almost exactly buy Jim Marshall in his POPULAR combo amp of the 70's. Very nice amps with great twin 10" Celestion vintage speaker. I think the best 10" sounding speakers ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This amp is from the 60s, don't know if it copied something from the 70s

      Delete

I appreciate your comments but please no commercial links or non guitar related conversations. Thank you. - JC

IMPORTANT NOTE TO ALL READERS

I am reposting items here that are listed on CRAIGSLIST throughout the USA. I am not selling any of these items and I cannot facilitate the sale of anything here - so please do not comment or post questions like "Is this still available?" or "I am interested in your guitar please call me, etc." You need to contact the seller directly by calling the phone number listed on the post or by going to the CL listing and emailing them. NEW FEATURE: Click on the title of the CL Listing inside my post to LINK thru to the original Post. If the original CL listing is deleted the item most likely is no longer available. Thanks for checking out my blog and GOOD LUCK!



Please don't call, contact, bother or harass these sellers long after their post is expired. Take for granted if the listing is over 30 days old that the guitar or amp is LONG GONE! Thank you.