Thursday, February 24, 2011

Something different - but related - Jimmy Page rules the Universe on his vintage Danelectro.

First off, I'd like to thank all the readers who've posted such nice supportive comments here in my blog. I really appreciate the nice words and it keeps me motivated to dig deeper and do a better job.

To that end, I will be expanding this Blog to make it part of a regular guitar WEBSITE called VINTAGE GUITAR HUNT. That site is not up yet but hopefully I will have it going in a month or two. I am looking for a good web designer to help me build it so that it includes a "VIntage Guitar Search Engine" feature and a "Members Forum" section for reviews and to share information with each other. I am doing this in response to the fact that HARMONY CENTRAL has really taken a dive in the past few years and I don't think many of us can use that as a good resource anymore. It's really a shame because that was a great site for many years but it's totally changed into a very commercial website with less user input so maybe we can build something decent for Vintage Guitar Players and Collectors to share and use together.

Wish me luck - and any input, comments, suggestions etc are appreciated.

- Jim Christopher

OKAY - as a special treat here are two great videos of JIMMY PAGE playing his vintage Danelectro DC-2. I can't make up my mind what's cooler - that Jimmy gets such a mind altering great tone out of this little Masonite Guitar - or the way he just picks up the same guitar with the same DADGAD tuning 30 years later and sounds just as good as the day he recorded it.

It doesn't get much more inspiring than this...

Here is LED ZEP playing KASHMIR live in the Mid 1970's



And here is Jimmy teaching the song to Jack White and The Edge. This movie, IT MIGHT GET LOUD is such a delight for lovers of the Electric Guitar and the real treat is seeing how much Jimmy Page loves to play - it is an absolute delight every moment he touches the instrument.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Jim, I love your blog. I find myself on here daily, always hoping to see a deal in my area (Upstate New York), and calculating the distance to a cool guitar too far away to buy!

    I'm wondering if you have, or know where I can find any info on the value of my current main guitar. I use a 1993 Fender Telecaster Plus Version 1. I bought the 2011 Official Vintage Guitar Magazine Price Guide after reading reviews of various blue books, and seeing many people list it as the most complete. I was disappointed however to only find the Version 2 model listed. From what I have heard, the V1 is the most desirable and rare of the Telecaster Plus models. Any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and keep up the good work, I can't wait to see your full website!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know alot about that model other than it is the one Jonny Greenwood (Radiohead) plays. A quick search of recent eBay completed listings shows the 1989 - 1995 Version 1's going on average for about $1400 with a few of the Plus Deluxe (w/ Trem bridge) going for as high as $2K. So that seems like a pretty valuable guitar to me. I have a regular 1983 USA Telecaster and I doubt I could get the same price for mine even though I've owned it since it was brand new. Sounds like a keeper. - JC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jim, I am by no means a pro, but have some experience in forums, and base web design (css,html,php). I have setup, administered, and recommend Vbulletin as the absolute best forum software around, however it does require a license, so if that's an issue there are open source forums that are usable as well. There are always constraints on my time but I am willing to lend you a hand with whatever I can... drop me a line and we can go from there if your interested.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the info Jim. I see a lot of them advertised as the Jonny Greenwood guitar, no doubt to increase interest in it, but I have found very little info beyond that. I picked mine up for about 800 a few years back and I love it. Very versatile, from classic Tele twang to hard rock sounds that compete with a les paul. I definitely wouldn't sell it, and am more interested in it's value so I can keep my eye out for another one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the blog and thanks for these two video links!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments but please no commercial links or non guitar related conversations. Thank you. - JC

IMPORTANT NOTE TO ALL READERS

I am reposting items here that are listed on CRAIGSLIST throughout the USA. I am not selling any of these items and I cannot facilitate the sale of anything here - so please do not comment or post questions like "Is this still available?" or "I am interested in your guitar please call me, etc." You need to contact the seller directly by calling the phone number listed on the post or by going to the CL listing and emailing them. NEW FEATURE: Click on the title of the CL Listing inside my post to LINK thru to the original Post. If the original CL listing is deleted the item most likely is no longer available. Thanks for checking out my blog and GOOD LUCK!



Please don't call, contact, bother or harass these sellers long after their post is expired. Take for granted if the listing is over 30 days old that the guitar or amp is LONG GONE! Thank you.