Saturday, June 13, 2009

1947 Masco MAP 15 Amplifier in Des Moines for $315


I have one of these Masco amps -mine is the MAP 120 which is the 6+V versionof this amp and it is a GODLIKE amp. This one probably sounds unreal with the 6L6 output tubes and massive iron.


Masco guitar amp circa 1947 - $315 (Windsor Heights)
Reply to:mailto:sale-xdnjy-1187606587@craigslist.org?subject=Masco%20guitar%20amp%20circa%201947%20-%20%24315%20(Windsor%20Heights) [Errors when replying to ads?]Date: 2009-05-25, 8:37AM CDT
Here's a vintage Masco MAP15 guitar amp from circa 1947. This is a single channel, 15 w number with volume and tone. It has a few features that make it unique. First of all it uses the 7F7 loktal preamp tubes. These are readily available on fleabay for relatively small sums. They're great for inverted flight too, and the only reason I can see why they used these things was because Sylvania made the Mark A. Simpson Company of Long Island City, New York a great deal on a carload of loktal tubes.It's cathode biased, has two 6L6 power tubes and truly massive iron, which is probably why Masco amps sound so good. Another reason is the way the preamp was set up. One input is more or less normal but the mic input is grid leak biased and it has great drive and grit. When this one arrived here the original Jensen was toast, so I subbed in a 1960 vintage P12RJ that I looted out of a Fisher stereo. Also, the support structure for the chassis was ripped loose and I repaired that, replaced the electrolytic capacitors and did some general maintenance. I've got to get rid of a few toys so make this yours.You might be able to buy a similar amp on fleabay, but here you get to road test this one and no shipping either.

11 comments:

  1. I have a 1947 that at one time belonged to Hank Williams Sr. I am interested in selling mine also. 928-377-9873 Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. do you have proof that it belonged to Hank Williams Sr.???

      Delete
    2. were you on pawn stars/ a guy on the one aired today-3-5-2013 had one with a brass plate stating it was HANK williams given to him by his mother.

      Delete
  2. Lol i was thinking it was the same guy too. Must be. Paper trails are key to stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the guy on Pawn Stars with the Hank amp. Jimmy Green 928-377-9873

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you end up selling it? I'm very interested, I would like a ballpark number be for I call though.. could you give me that? Thank you I have been looking everywhere for this

      Delete
  4. problem is, he cannot prove its Hanks. I could by the one up top and put a brass plate on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it would be more believable without the brass plate. Who does that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The caps are toast on it. Worth a buck fifty, $150 as is Jimmy. Try the Hank Williams museum. Maybe they can help you validate it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the only elec amp used was his electric guitar player (don helms) .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hank used this Masco for the inputs. Mine has 3 inputs, witch is rare. And one of them has a internal filter. I was on Pawn Stars with it. And I still have it. But, I did get invited back for another episode next season. I met hank and Marty Stuart over this amp. We are working on validation right now.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments but please no commercial links or non guitar related conversations. Thank you. - JC

IMPORTANT NOTE TO ALL READERS

I am reposting items here that are listed on CRAIGSLIST throughout the USA. I am not selling any of these items and I cannot facilitate the sale of anything here - so please do not comment or post questions like "Is this still available?" or "I am interested in your guitar please call me, etc." You need to contact the seller directly by calling the phone number listed on the post or by going to the CL listing and emailing them. NEW FEATURE: Click on the title of the CL Listing inside my post to LINK thru to the original Post. If the original CL listing is deleted the item most likely is no longer available. Thanks for checking out my blog and GOOD LUCK!



Please don't call, contact, bother or harass these sellers long after their post is expired. Take for granted if the listing is over 30 days old that the guitar or amp is LONG GONE! Thank you.