Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Extremely Rare Sound City Concord Tube combo in Chatanooga TN for $400


Ever seen one of these?? I haven't. Sound City is one of the classic British tube amp companies and they were mostly known for their 100 watt 4x12 stacks used by The Who and other heavy Brit rockers back in the day. This is a funky liltle amp to be sure but the slider controls aside I am sure it is a pretty basic circuit.

One thing is for sure - you ain't gonna see another one of these on CL for a long time (unless it is you reselling this one LOL).

*******************************************************************

Vintage Tube Amp - $400 (Cleveland, TN)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2010-02-08, 12:09AM EST
Reply to: sale-ekz6s-1590885381@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I have a working Sound City Concord Combo for sale or trade. I don't know a lot about it. Here's what I do know:

-Made by a British Company company called Sound City.
-Made sometime between 1968-1972 It's either a Mark III or Mark IV
- ~30 watts (up to 40 watts) from two EL34s. (These appear to be original tubes, but I haven't taken a very close look); the preamp tubes look to be vintage Mullards, but again not sure.
-2x12" Speakers; I believe the speakers are either made by Fane or Eminence, look to be original
-Very unique control mechanism: no knobs, only sliders.
-Two separate channels: One bright, one normal.

Since there are two inputs for each channel, you can link the two channels to create at third channel with a patch cable. I usually played it this way for a nice, balanced tone.

This amp is working in that I've plugged it in, used it for lengths of about 30 minutes to an hour at a time and cranked it at about 30-40% without any problems. All the sliders and controls work.
Though the amp is functional I know at least two things need to be fixed:
-One speaker is not currently working
-The power cord works, but could use replacing. It is a very small cord with no ground. It doesn't look very safe to be honest.

I've been offered cash for this amp at music shops, but I've turned it down because I wanted to hold onto this amp until I could give it more attention.
It sounds really good as it is with only one speaker working. It offers very bright, clean tones that are unique and very vintage sounding. It's loud! Most tube amps are.
I currently play a Fender DeVille that I've had retubed to my liking, and I think this Concord has the potential to sound a lot better than my DeVille. This thing is a beast.

Email me if you are interested and I'll give you my phone number. I live in Cleveland and work in Chattanooga. I'd be happy to let you have a look if you'd like.
I will also trade for an apple computer, namely a Mac Mini


Location: Cleveland, TN

1 comment:

  1. I have one of these amps and have owned it for almost 40 years! Model CCD serial# 2042 I traded some worthless junk for it in the late 70's. There are Sound City labeled speakers in it and it has black cabinet covering. It still works but has some problems. audioweapon at earthlink dot net

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments but please no commercial links or non guitar related conversations. Thank you. - JC

IMPORTANT NOTE TO ALL READERS

I am reposting items here that are listed on CRAIGSLIST throughout the USA. I am not selling any of these items and I cannot facilitate the sale of anything here - so please do not comment or post questions like "Is this still available?" or "I am interested in your guitar please call me, etc." You need to contact the seller directly by calling the phone number listed on the post or by going to the CL listing and emailing them. NEW FEATURE: Click on the title of the CL Listing inside my post to LINK thru to the original Post. If the original CL listing is deleted the item most likely is no longer available. Thanks for checking out my blog and GOOD LUCK!



Please don't call, contact, bother or harass these sellers long after their post is expired. Take for granted if the listing is over 30 days old that the guitar or amp is LONG GONE! Thank you.